Irrespective of the size of your sales and distribution warehouse and the industry in which you operate, Kardex Remstar has solutions to increase efficiency and significantly reduce the amount of storage space used. Our automated storage systems and software solutions are tailored to the actual task and manufactured in line with the company’s expectations, regardless of whether you need an individual semi-automatic solution consisting of one or two automated storage systems, or several automated storage systems with the option to store and retrieve goods fully automatically without human intervention.
Compared to storing goods on shelves or mezzanine platforms (false ceilings), Kardex automated storage systems improve order-picking efficiency by between 100 and 400 percent. At the same time, the amount of floor space required can often be reduced to up to one tenth of the size. Further improvments include more precise storage management, fewer errors when picking orders, a better working environment, and enhanced ergonomics. The benefits are reflected in a faster ROI (return on investment) and lower operating costs, which have a direct and positive impact on trading results.
Which areas of the warehouse can be optimized with Kardex Remstar automated storage systems?
The goods and areas in a warehouse that are most suited to optimization measures differ from one company to the next, but it primarily involves goods that are stored on shelves and mezzanine platforms, or goods from picking zones.
Customer requirements (private customers as well as public companies) often involve a rising number of orders with fewer individual items and a faster delivery time. This places higher demands on running an effective logistics operation and optimizing storage of goods, particularly those stored in containers that have been opened. Kardex Remstar automated storage systems are flexibly structured and adapted to each individual task. All goods are stored on trays, which increases flexibility and the range of possible dimensions of the goods that can be stored in the automated storage systems. The heights are also adapted to the actual goods in order to make maximum use of the volume and can be adjusted at any time if there are any changes in terms of requirements or the type of goods stored. In other words, the company is not bound to its warehouse layout, but is able to adapt it easily to changing business developments on an ongoing basis. Such flexibility and better use of the space also often allow the company to extend its product range and optimize its purchasing operation.
An overview of the benefits of optimizing warehouse space with Kardex Remstar automated storage systems
- Increased efficiency. Our customers often report an increase in efficiency of between 100 and 400 percent.
- Space saved. The amount of floor space required can often be reduced by between 75 and 90 percent. This means that the same amount of goods can be stored on a footprint 10 to 25 percent the size of the original space.
- Improved profitability. The investment is also associated with a faster ROI (return on investment) due to the increased efficiency and the space saved. Also of interest is the fact that leasing the system makes it possible to make savings considerably higher than the actual monthly leasing payment, even when the very first payment is 0 euros. This means that you can improve your trading results from the very start.
- Fewer order-picking errors. Laser pointers, matrix position light strips, and put-to-light systems guide the operator directly to the correct place and there is also an option to verify that the correct goods have been picked by means of a scanning system. From experience, the error rate drops compared to when picking orders from shelves. In some cases this can generate significant annual savings while also improving the reputation of the company among its customers.
- Better inventory management. Kardex software makes it possible to count the stock every time a storage space is emptied. With an interface to the ERP system this means that stock levels are by and large always well balanced. This leads to better purchase management and reduces the risk of ordering too much stock. Quite a few companies have also been able to save themselves the trouble of doing an annual stocktake.
- Cleaner goods. The goods are enclosed in the automated storage systems and protected from sunlight and dust. With particularly sensitive goods it is possible to regulate the climate in the storage system, set a certain temperature and humidity level, and maintain clean room conditions.
- Improved capacity to compete. Reducing logistics and handling costs improves the capacity to compete.
- Improved ergonomics and working environment. With conventional shelving, orders are picked from completely different, unergonomic heights and sometimes even a ladder has to be used. In a Kardex automated storage system the goods are conveyed to the employee at an ergonomically manageable height every time.
- Flexibility and adaptability. Kardex Remstar automated storage systems are flexible and can be continuously adapted to meet changing needs at any time.
Integrate Kardex automated storage systems into your host system
Kardex automated storage systems are generally controlled by Kardex software, a kind of WMS (warehouse management system) software package. You can get the full benefit and make maximum use of the storage space by integrating the Kardex software into your ERP system, online shop, or existing WMS software. We have a whole range of references where installations have been integrated into Axapta, Magento, Navision, Movex, SAP, Jeeves, Apport, Consafe, Dracar, Autovision, and many more systems.
As a globally leading supplier of automated storage solutions, Kardex Remstar has installed more than 140,000 systems throughout the world – for small and big tasks at businesses big or small across a whole range of industries. Do not hesitate to contact us if you require any further information.